I am an impulsive buyer. As soon as I saw these medium-sized tart bases during one of my bake shop visits, I immediately bought three without thinking twice. I don’t even know how to make a tart or a tart shell!
Since we have decided to make a beef wellington (yes, we’re a fan of Gordon Ramsay and of his beef wellington. I think our obsession on this deserves another blog post!) over the weekend and invite a friend over, I’ve decided to make these tart bases which I’ve purchased to good use. I couldn’t find easy enough recipes on the internet for me to make so I’ve taken different routes.
First off, I tried making an instant-base by using a leftover shortcrust pastry and tried to fit it in the mini tart bases. 3 minutes after placing it in the oven, all bases shrank away from the budges and bulged in the middle. So, off to the trash bin with these three tart shells.
Since I have leftover graham crackers and I almost never run out of oats, I tried looking for a quick and easy tart base recipe with these ingredients to go with my dark chocolate and strawberry filling which I had in mind. And I found a couple of recipes and combined it to make my own version of the Dark Chocolate Strawberry Tart. I was even praised by Babs that it might have been the best dessert I have ever made. Well, that does not seem to be a compliment considering I’ve attempted to make lotsa desserts in the past. blech
Anyway, here it is, my simple recipe for easy to make Dark Chocolate Strawberry Tart.
1 cup crushed graham crackers (you may use crushed digestive biscuit if you don’t have graham crackers at home)
3/4 cup rolled oats
4 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Mix all dry ingredients (graham crackers, rolled oats, sugar, salt)
- Make a well in the middle, pour in melted butter, vanilla
- Mix well.
- Pat on to the tart base evenly. I used 3 mini-tart base but the ingredients can cover 1 9-inch tart base.
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Once done, let it cool and set aside.
Now, on to the filling.
DARK CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY FILLING
100 g Semi-sweet Hershey’s Chocolate Chips
200 g 56% Dark Couvertour Choco Chips
200 ml whipping cream
1 cup of whole strawberries
Crushed walnuts (optional)
- Heat cream on a double broiler.
- Once heated, fold in the chocolates until melted. Continue mixing until whip cream and chocolates are well combined.
- Stir in your walnuts.
- Take it off the heat and pour your chocolate fudge on to your base – enough to fill it brim of the tart shell without it spilling over.
- Cut your strawberries accordingly and place it on top of your chocolate fudge ‘creatively’.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours to settle.
You may use whichever chocolate chips you want – I just find that dark chocolate works well with Strawberries.
Enjoy! Mr. Pies enjoyed looking at it! 🙂